Friday, March 29, 2013

Weight Watchers Happy Grilled Salmon and Asparagus

Went went to a friend's house recently for dinner and a play date for the kids.  It was BYOM, bring your own meat.  Hubby decides he wants salmon so off we go to the fish market and come back with salmon and shrimp.  We made shrimp kabobs and marinaded everything in teriyaki.  We arrived at the house and the hubby got squirmy because he didn't know how to grill salmon because they were not big fish eaters.  I realized I really didn't either.  He called a friend, got advice, and the salmon was delicious.  I have never met a piece of salmon I didn't like.  The shrimp however didn't go so well.  We had skewered them with the shell on in hopes that they wouldn't over cook and the shell would hold in the moisture.  Well the shells wouldn't come off once grilled.  This set in motion a little quest for me to learn how to better grill seafood. 

So far what I have learned is there is nothing to it!  I haven't had the testicular fortitude to try the shrimp again with the shells on, but if put on the top rack of the grill they do just fine.  The key is they only need to cook, literally a minute on each side and they are good to go. 

I now try to find salmon with the skin on.  The skin is full of good for you oils and therefore will not stick to the grill.  I usually spray each side with Olive Oil Pam before starting just for good measure because lets face it:  Seafood is expensive and no one wants to see that expensive yummy goodness wasted.  If you can't find salmon with skin on then a piece of tin foil will do the trick...not quite as good but still better than baked salmon.

For the Asparagus, super easy...cut off wooden stems, spray with Pam, and sprinkle with a little garlic salt.   Toss together then lay on grill.  Turn once or twice.  Right before you take off the grill squeeze a little lemon over the whole thing and Bon Appetite!

I did a good job with my points today so took some whole wheat spaghetti noodles, tossed with olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and lemon juice.  A cup of this is 4 points.  I laid the salmon and asparagus right on top.

So how did it turn out?  It was pretty good...not my best work but I literally made it in 15 minutes.  It was a super busy day so all things considering it did the trick.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment