Wednesday, March 20, 2013

An Ode to Granny B



So apparently Caden likes coffee….
And he is 11 months old.  I know, I know, a lot of mothers are out there judging me right now for even letting him taste it, but if you knew him at all you would know he was very insistent about it.  Furthermore, if you knew me at all you would know that I think torturing my kids is hilarious.  That is why we had kids right?  For our entertainment!  Anywho, I envisioned a scenario similar to what happened with my sweet princess Brennan.  She wanted to taste it, I finally relented, and the terrible face she made while spitting it all down her pretty outfit was worth the extra stain fighting I had to do on laundry day…alright who am I kidding, there is no laundry day at this house…more like, I am almost out of underwear so I guess I better wash and fold something.  She has never wanted to taste it again and that was that.  SO, he pointed at my cup with his adorable fat little finger whilst grunting something that was meant to be I want that and I gave him a sip.  He didn’t meet my expectation by cringing and spitting it out.  He calmly swallowed and smacked his lips like mmmm, this is tasty, similar to what I do with my first sip every morning.  He then went about his business.  The next morning, a similar scenario happened.  I cannot help but love him a little bit more for this.  It takes me back to when I was a little girl sitting in my beloved Granny B’s kitchen.  Every morning we would make breakfast together, boiled eggs and butter toast.  She would pour herself a cup of coffee and of course I had to have one too.  We did this for years, but it started when I was waaay too young to be drinking coffee.  To be fair, it was really a cup of milk, sugar, and a splash of coffee…just enough to give it the right color.  I felt so grown up and so special.  I adored that woman and she equally adored me.  Everyone knew it, what we had was just special.  It was our special routine and I still cherish it.  It brings tears to my eyes even typing about it.  If my kids even feel half of the love and adoration for me that I did for her than I have done my job well.  So to carry on the tradition if my Mr. C wants to drink coffee with me when he gets older than bring it on!  She had a sparkle in her eye every morning while we sipped our coffee like there was a joke and only she knew the punch line.  I now understand why.  I will have a similar sparkle in mine.  Mr. C becomes more like me every day, the good and bad.  I will take it all because he is all mine!  Without realizing it, I use her every day for a model on how to raise my kids.  She has been gone for eleven years and I feel like I saw her yesterday.  That kind of lasting love meant she was doing something right.  So bring on the coffee…I just need to remember this when he wants his first taste of beer and take a different approach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment