Sunday, March 24, 2013

Les Mis was the Shiz...

But are we really surprised?  Yesterday hubby and I went on a day trip with some friends to see our very first stage production of Les Mis.  Pre-show blog

Valjean was amazing and so was Javert.  The rest of the cast was great as well, but the two leads were definitely the best.  Really though, isn't that how it is supposed to be? 

We went with our two besties and stopped at an old favorite, Flying Saucer, for lunch.  If they ever build one in Greenville I may never see half of my friends again and for good reason.  They have literally hundreds and hundreds of beers on tap and in bottles.  It is amazing and delicious! 

Then off to the Koger Center we went.  The lights dimmed, the music began, and for three glorious hours we were swept away into the gloriousness that is this musical.  And when I say musical, I mean muscial.  There are maybe ten spoken words the entire time.  They literally sing, and sing, and sing.  I was left at the end feeling a little empty. I know this sounds weird because it was so wonderful but that is just it.  It was so wonderful that I was sad that it was over.  I knew that it would be at least a few months before I would be able to experience such drama, and emotion, and beauty all at the same time.   The show overwhelmed my senses to such a degree that when the lights came on it took a few minutes to gather myself and continue on with life.  In those three hours I had nothing else in my mind but the show and had no desire to be anywhere in the world other than right there.  When something takes you away like that you know they have done everything right. 

Now to be fair, I LOVE MUSICALS.  They are my thing.  I was born this way.  The minute I was able, I sang my heart out to whatever I could.  My first viewing of the Wizard of Oz was forever life changing.  I promptly, at 3 years old, became Dorothy and would not answer to any other name to the extent that my parents began to worry. So maybe I am being a little dramatic.  Maybe the show was dramatic and the lingering effects are affecting my mood.  All I know is in this case, if dramatic is wrong, I am perfectly content not being right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment